Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Drugstore Gem: Maybelline Expertwear Eyeshadow Palette in Sunbaked Neutrals



       I picked this up after hearing someone include it in their favorite eyeshadow palette selections (sorry, can't remember who!), and as eyeshadow palettes are my main weakness along with blushes, I decided to pick it up when I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond last weekend, since with my 20% off discount it came to a whopping $5.03 for 8 eyeshadows (!) How could I not?! And I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised! It comes with eight wearable shades, in a variety of textures and finishes. It includes: a shimmery champagne, a matte medium brown, a shimmery orange/copper, a light satin green, a dark brown with gold sparkle, a shimmery bronze, a frosty white, and a deep satin olive green.




        As far as the quality and pigmentation goes, these are, with one notable exception, quite nice shadows. These are creamy, pigmented, and have left me fairly surprised, as I am not a huge fan of Maybelline shadows in general.  I usually stick to Wet N Wild and L'oreal HIP for powder eyeshadows from the drugstore, and while I still think those aforementioned brands do come slightly ahead in terms of quality and pigment, these are still a great option.

       That being said, I do have a couple of disappointments with this product. First being, the copper shade in the top row is basically unusable, in my opinion. Rough texture, poor color payoff, chunky deposits of color, it pretty much embodies what I remember Maybelline shadows to be like back in the day. My other complaint is that I feel like this palette is missing a good all over the lid shade which keeps it from being the perfect travel companion. Most of the colors in this are either what I would use as a highlighter or a crease/outer corner shade. That being said, I think the main advantage to this product is the size; it is absolutely tiny! It fits in the palm of my hand, and is absolutely dwarfed by any other palette containing a comparable amount of colors. I think this is a great palette to travel with, especially if you are going on a weekend trip. I personally don’t like to travel with expensive makeup, because I am always afraid it will either get lost or break, so this is an excellent alternative.

       Overall, I would say definitely pick this up at the drugstore next time you spot it. You probably have similar colors in your collection already, as they are essentially basic neutral shadows, but the size, portability, and price are what make this product standout. I really am impressed, if you couldn't already tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment