Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recent Nail Loves, and Random Pop Culture Ranting

I just wanted to do a quick post on some current nail polish obsessions; pretty self-explanatory, so here goes...
 
From left to right: Butter London Slapper, Illamasqua Jomina, Maybelline Color Show Green With Envy

Butter London Slapper: Now, I am not a huge fan of this brand of polishes across the board; I feel like for the price the quality could be increased a bit, as it is not uniform. I have tried some absolutely amazing shades from this line, but have also regrettably purchased a couple of shades that I found to be amongst the most difficult polish applications I have ever attempted (shout out to Teddy Girl). That being said, this might be my new all-time favorite summer nail polish. Maybe that's too bold a claim for someone who has 5 boxes of nail polish (hangs head in shame), but it is definitely a contender. This is a bold and bright teal color; I personally don't own another teal polish that is so close to being neon. Also, a lot of teals end up looking a bit murky and dark on the nails so that you can't even tell it's a color, which I don't like so much. This is unmistakably teal, and I love it! The application is a dream as well; smooth, with minimal streaking.

Illamasqua Jo'mina: This was previously my undisputed summer fave, and although it is being challenged by Slapper, this will most likely always hold a special place in my mammoth collection. It is a very bright  lilac/lavender with a creme finish; it is not a pastel, and I have never seen another polish quite like it. The application is amazing, which I have heard is true for the majority of the Illamasqua nail polish line. Surprisingly, this is the only polish I own by them, but I have been tempted by a few others in their line. In particular, I have been in lust with Nomad, which is their recently released shade of unusual green. Since unusual green polishes are as much my weakness as taupe eyeshadows and red lipsticks are, this will probably find a way to work itself into my collection. I think this is well worth the $14 price tag.

Maybelline Color Show Green With Envy: This is the surprise sleeper hit for me. I am pretty sure I paid less than 4 bucks for this, and although that shouldn't lead me to expect a lesser quality formulation, I still was blown away when I applied this mint green shade and found it more or less applying itself perfectly, with no streaking, and the need for only two coats. The shade is very dupeable, and I am a little bit afraid to compare it against all the other mint greens in my collection as I will probably find at least one dupe. But if you don't really have a mint shade, this is a definite must have. Did I need this? No, but I am glad I took a chance on it. The only complaint I have is that it does seem to be chipping easily, but I am not sure I can blame the polish for that, as I have been very rough on my hands the past few days.


Julep America: Yes, I am a subscribed Julep Maven, but I usually skip the month as most of the time I either am underwhelmed by the shade selections, or I think the price is a bit steep if I only want one of the polishes, etc. However, when I saw this glitter polish packed with red and blue glitter and sprinkled with silver stars, I let out a little squeal of excitement (yes, I know; I have issues). It didn't disappoint upon arrival, and made a great 4th of July manicure. I put it over a coat of Essie Red Nouveau even though it probably would have gotten opaque on its own, and I loved the effect. I will say that taking this polish off was by far the most difficult removal process I have ever experienced. It took me nearly an HOUR of soaking and vigorous scrubbing to get my nails clean, so in the future I will probably limit myself to using it as an accent polish. I am actually looking forward to doing that for the upcoming Olympics.

Hope everyone is having a nice week so far...I have to say I am still reeling a bit from yesterday's episode of the Bachelorette. Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the episode yet, but I couldn't believe she sent Sean home! He was perfect for her, and definite husband/father material; maybe he is slightly less exciting than the other two, but he is completely dependable, and Arie and Jef come across as so fake to me (sorry Jef with one F fans...and I know there are a lot of you.) Anyways, kind of questioning Emily's judgement now...in other TV news, has anyone been watching Bunheads? Terrible name, but it's actually a quick-witted and well-done show. We are just a few episodes in so far, but the dialogue is great, and the ballet makes me nostalgic for my childhood. Oh, and PLL comes back tonight! I think this season has been solid so far. Okay, enough rambling for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment