Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review and Lip Swatches: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain


From left to right: Romantic, Sweetheart, Charmed, Darling
       For a while, I hadn't seen these at the main drugstores, but I did spot a nearly empty display at Harmon’s/Bed Bath and Beyond. This is a product along the lines of higher-end Tarte Lipsurgences and Clinique Chubby Sticks. Now, I have not personally tried the Clinique product, but I do have a quite a few of the Tarte ones that I have accumulated in various sets and kits over the years. I happen to be a pretty big fan of the Tarte incarnation, but would have a hard time parting with the $24 cost when they are sold individually. It just strikes me as being quite high for what it is. The display at Bed, Bath, and Beyond looked like it had been positively ransacked, with only a few shades left. I picked up a reddish shade called Romantic, and the lilac one named Darling. I actually ended up picking up two more shades when I finally spotted them at my CVS: Charmed, a peachy nude shade, and Sweetheart, a hot pink.
       First off, I really like the packaging. I love it when companies make the outside packaging match the color inside, as it helps immeasurably when you have a large collection and have to sort through a lot of items to find a specific shade you are seeking. It seems sturdy, with the lid fitting securely on the top, unlike a lot of drugstore lip products. The stick also rolls up without need for a sharpener, just like it’s higher end counterparts. My favorites would have to be Romantic and Sweetheart.  Romantic imparts a sheer red look to the lips on first application, which leaves you looking like you just had a popsicle, but can be built up to a much more opaque and bold level of coverage. I love Sweetheart, which is probably the most pigmented of the bunch. It comes out on my lips as a very vibrant hot pink/fuschia with the first swipe. I like the lilac shade, but wouldn't say it's a must have; on my pigmented lips, it shows up like a subtle baby pink/lilac. Pretty, but I don't think I needed it. The one that gets a big miss from me is Charmed, which really doesn't show up on me. I really should have known better to pick this one up though, as these light shades in sheer lipstick formulations tend to never really work out for me.
       My biggest complaint is the marketing with this product; the name describes it as a “kissable balm stain.” In my opinion, this is neither a balm nor a stain. The product lasts maybe slightly longer than a normal lipstick, so I would not venture to call this a stain or a particularly long-wearing product. I could let Revlon get away with that claim, but I think calling this a balm is a bit of a stretch. I do not find these products more moisturizing than your average sheer lip product; they do have a nice feeling slickness when you first apply them, but after a while my lips feel a little dry. Please keep in mind though that I do have quite dry lips, and products that are often touted as being moisturized in the beauty community, ie Revlon Lip Butters and EOS lip balms, actually dry my lips out. So these might be just fine for you! It is not such a problem that I wouldn’t use them, but I just get a little annoyed with Revlon and drugstore brands in general making outlandish claims about their products that they really have no shot of living up to. In comparison to the higher end brands, I would say these are just as pigmented, and really only fall short with the texture being slightly less creamy, and the application less smooth.

Sweetheart (couldn't capture it as bright as it is in real life for some reason)

Romantic

Charmed (look how washed out and ill it makes me look!)

Darling
       Overall, I really do like this product despite the tirade above, and will be interested in picking up a few more shades when these start showing up in stock everywhere. I think the reasonable price tag of the $7 dollar range makes me much more likely to pick these up over the high end alternatives.

1 comment:

  1. I just purchased the shade Smitten, and I am already in LOVE with this product! Thanks for the recommendation, girl!

    ReplyDelete