Thursday, July 26, 2012

Foundation Frenzy: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder Review

       
      So I've decided I am going to do an overview series on the different foundations (including tinted moisturizers and bb cremes) that I own, and share my thoughts on them. First up is my recent obsession: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder. Mine is in the shade Tender Rose, the lightest of the pink undertone options. I purchased this last fall at Sephora after hearing a bit of buzz about this being a really nice option for sensitive skin types. This appealed to me after trying many foundations that caused my skin to react negatively, so I went to Sephora to have a look, and I remember the Sales Assistant was really sweet and  applied this on me. When she was finished, I loved the effect, and purchased it on the spot, which is something I rarely do with skin products (I almost always get a sample to test first). Despite our love at first sight affair, the intense feelings fizzled out a bit as it ended up just sitting in my collection for a while collecting dust while I went through a horrendous skin phase from about October to May, suffering from painfully dry skin. I couldn't wear liquid foundation as it just exacerbated the dry patches, so the idea of applying a powder foundation such as this made me very wary indeed. Now that it is summer and my dry skin issues have mostly resolved, I pulled this out a few weeks ago as I thought it would be a nice lightweight option for warm weather. After testing this out for nearly a month now, I can say that I wholeheartedly love this product.
       I apply it with the Sephora Professional Mineral Powder brush, which I think is a perfect accompaniment for this foundation. It dispenses the right amount of powder, and allows you to blend it flawlessly into your skin. I was a little bit hesitant to sport this during the sunny months as sometimes I feel like powder can look so obvious and cakey in direct sunlight, as if it is just sitting on the top of your skin; I usually favor as dewy as possible a finish for the summertime. However, this is not your typical powder, as it imparts a very natural and glowy effect to the skin. It provides good coverage without appearing like you have a lot of makeup on. It also has SPF 15 and is imbued with 15 amino acids, which, according to Laura Mercier, "helps clear the skin of toxins, promotes healthy skin cell growth, and fights the aging process." I'm not sure about those claims, but I have noticed that if I try to build up the coverage a lot, it can start to look a tad cakey, so I usually stick with a light and even application all over my face. Overall, I would say this has light to a buildable medium coverage.  I also like to spray my Skindinavia finishing spray all over my face to counteract any sort of powdery look. I have heard a lot of people like to use this as a finishing powder on top of another base product to provide additional coverage, but personally I enjoy the light coverage for this time of year, and apply concealer in the areas I feel like I need full coverage.
       My one complaint is that I do feel like this oxidizes somewhat on me, going a bit orange.  It's nothing too bad though, and I just make sure to apply bronzer with this to make it appear well-blended. When I run out of this, however, I will most likely purchase the lightest shade in the yellow undertones to prevent this oxidization.  The only other detractor to this foundation would be the price: $36.00 for 0.34 ounces. However, I really do think it's worth it, as it is a versatile product, and I have never come across another mineral foundation that renders your skin so luminous. I personally have never enjoyed loose mineral foundation in the past, as I do have dry skin, but this is certainly an exception. I love it, and can easily see this becoming a staple product for me.  You need this!

PS--Sorry for the sketchy photo quality here, and general lack of photos on this post; currently experiencing some camera issues, but I really wanted to get my thoughts down on this foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment