Saturday, August 4, 2012

Quick (or not so quick) Post About a Boring Topic...Recent Lotion Loves

I know, I know; I really reeled you in with that title, didn't I? Joking aside, I did just want to share some recent favorites in the body lotion realm with you. Now it should be said that I am not too bothered by lotion, usually. I think I can trace this apathy back to circa 5th grade, when my friends and I used to collect countless lotions, sprays, and shower gels from Bath and Body Works, amassing copious amounts of products only to rival our equally impressive Lip Smacker collections. I am not sure what we planned on doing with all of those products, but I guess it just shows that illogical collecting and hoarding tendencies are traits deeply embedded in my bones. Anyways, I had all these super sickly sweet smelling lotions and potions, and it got to the point one day where scented body lotion started making me feel nauseous and triggered some headaches.  I got really turned off of using such products for a long time, preferring unscented lotions and body oils. That being said, even though I basically stopped buying lotions, that doesn't mean people stopped giving them to me as gifts, and or that I stopped receiving them as gifts with purchases, so I have accumulated quite a few different types. In my opinion, the ones I am going to discuss are a cut above the pack, particularly for the warmer months, where my skin is still dry and scaly, but I don't particularly feel like slathering my body in heavy creams.

 Whew, now that I have traced out my tumultuous history with body lotion in a characteristically rambly manner, let's get on to the products, shall we?


First up, Hempz Pomegranate Herbal Body Moisturizer, which is enriched with 100 percent pure organic hemp seed oil (according to the packaging). You get an absolutely massive amount of product in this--17 ounces. What I like about this is the scent is very light and not overwhelming; as I mentioned above, scents that are too fruity sweet or too floral have a tendency to induce a headache in me. It comes with a pump, which is less messy and more hygienic than a pot you have to dig your fingers into. The packaging is pretty cheap looking for the price, and their logo kind of looks like, um, a marijuana leaf. There, I said it. The texture is lightweight, but the effect is still extremely moisturizing--one of the most moisturizing I have ever used. They sell this at Ulta for $23, but it goes on sale a lot; I am pretty sure I picked this up for 50-60 percent off. They also have it on amazon for around $12, so definitely do not shell out the full retail price. The original scent is also amazing; it smells like coconut and bananas, without being too sweet (how many times am I going to use that phrase in this post?)

Next I want to talk about the Julep Pomegranate Body Creme. It's pretty much a coincidence that I have two Pomegranate selections here, as I received this in my Julep Maven box a while back. I remember getting this in my box and letting out a groan, thinking, ugh another body butter? But this is absolutely amazing. The texture is akin to a light whipped mousse, and the scent is subtle. This, unlike Body Shop body butters, absorbs right into my skin and doesn't leave me feeling at all sticky. The effect is incredible; it transforms my rough skin into something approaching soft and smooth. It does have the embarrassing side effect of causing me to endlessly stroke my arms in shock at how soft I feel, making me look like a total freak, haha. The downside to this is that this little pot retails for $18 for a mere 4 ounces, which leaves me uncertain as to whether I will repurchase this when I run out. I do love it though.


Last up is Johnson's Melt Away Stress Lavender and Chamomile Lotion. This can be picked up at any drugstore, and it claims to "help you unwind and feel at ease." I don't really buy into those types of claims, but I will say that I have been using this before bed and it might just be the ritual involved, but whatever the psychology behind it, I do find this pretty relaxing. It isn't particularly moisturizing, and it does contain some cheap ingredients including parabens, but I just love love love this scent! I know lavender isn't everyone's thing, and sometimes it's not mine either, but this is just right my alley.


No comments:

Post a Comment