Monday, August 20, 2012

Review and Swatches: Jesse's Girl Palette in Brown Eyed Girl



    Just wanted to hop on and share my excitement for this absolute bargain of a palette...it is a collection of nine warm-toned neutrals which retails at Rite Aid for $3.99. I originally went to Rite Aid to try and snag some of the new Maybelline Color Tattoo shades, which of course my location did not have yet, so I was feeling that itch to buy something. I spotted this and decided to take a gamble on it, as I rationalized to myself that even if I only liked one of the nine shades, for $3.99 that would still be worth it. Of course, I swatched the shades as soon as I got to the car after purchasing, and was really pleased with the pigmentation and quality! My only minor complaint is that the two lightest shades in the palette, a pale white/yellow color and a soft gold, are a bit on the sheerer and more chalky side of the spectrum, but hey, I sometimes find that to be the case with high end light-colored eyeshadows, and the rest of the colors are very nice quality and more than compensate for those two.

    
     The other colors are: a muted tangerine, a minky taupe, an unusual dirty mustard color (reminds me a bit of that shade Outre that came out with a MAC collection last fall), a rusty copper, a brick red-orange (I thought a possible Nars California dupe), a warm brown, and a cool medium brown. The overall color scheme seems quintessential fall to me, echoing the changing leaf colors that those of you in other parts of the world are lucky enough to experience. Personally, there are a few colors included that I do not have anything in my collection similar to, and let's just say my makeup stash falls somewhere between "more than recommended" and "a few items away from the camera crew from hoarders making a surprise appearance," so that is quite a feat. This largely orange and copper-based palette is great for someone like me, as I like the idea of them for bringing out my blue-gray eyes, but tend to be a bit wary of a lot of these types of shades as I find I really have to work to get them to complement my porcelain skin, but for $3.99, or $0.44 a shadow, I can experiment without feeling guilty if I can't get some of the colors to work for me. The finish is basically the same on all of the shades: they have a subtle sheen, and are not matte, but also are not overtly shimmery. The packaging is pretty cheap-looking, but compact and certainly not bulky. The only product I can think of where you get similar bang for your buck is the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette, but that is usually around $5, although you do get an extra shadow, and I would say the quality is a little better on that one.

  
      But overall, I am pretty thrilled by this drugstore gem: good quality shadows (no one is confusing these for the likes of, say, Burberry Eyeshadows, but I would say only Wet N Wild makes better ones for a comparable price; definitely surpass almost all other drugstore eyeshadows I have tried), some unusual shades (it's not just another neutral palette as I thought at first glance,) accompanied by a $3.99 price tag. I don't really think you can go wrong with this one--low risk, high reward in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment