Sunday, August 19, 2012

Love, Like, Loathe of the Week #1

I've been seeing this type of post floating around the blogosphere, and really liked the idea of it, so here goes my picks for the week.


I LOVE: My Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in RSVP. This product is not exactly a well-kept secret, and I would say this line of cream shadows has a well-deserved cult like adoration in the beauty community. I have a few of these, but this particular shade of pinky champagne is just so flattering, and so quick and easy for summer.  This with some eyeliner and mascara is an effortless summer look: put together, but not too overdone.

I LIKE: OPI nail polish in Pink Friday.  This is from the Nicki Minaj collection that came out in the Spring, and is a bright bubblegum pink. I am not usually a huge pink nail polish person, but this color is really fun and girly; perfect for the season. The reason it is a like and not a love is that I had some issues with the formula; it didn't self-level, and overall I found it rather difficult to apply. However, I do have the mini bottle of this, so that could be the cause of these issues rather than the formula itself, although I have had other OPI minis in the past that apply well. I do really like the color though.

I LOATHE: This distinction definitely goes to my Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion. This is just a deluxe size sample of 1 fl oz that I received ages ago, and I tried this week to incorporate it into my skincare routine as my day moisturizer since I am almost out of my beloved Bare Minerals one. Now, before I really start disparaging this product, I do have to mention that it is recommended for normal to oily skin types, and my skin does not really fall into that camp. But as the weather here has been very hot lately, my skin has been rather normal to dry instead of it's usual Sahara desert-like state, so I thought this would be fine while the hot weather lasts. I am sad to report that no, my friends; this is not the case. I actually don't think it is just my skin-type that makes this product not work for me; I just don't think it is a great moisturizer. It does not sink into my skin at all, and leaves a shiny film on my face. It exacerbates every pore, with the overall effect of making my skin look super greasy with huge pores, neither of which is usually true. I thought maybe I could use it on days I am just lounging around the house and don't have to go anywhere, but it doesn't moisturize at all, therefore rendering this product completely useless to me. I would be interested to hear from someone who has oily skin on what they think of this product, but until I do, I am just going to assume that this is bad product.

No comments:

Post a Comment